Thursday, September 17, 2009

Not So Humble Beginnings

In First Grade I was totally the girl you wanted to punch in the face. I loooooved reading and was "advanced," and already on chapter books, and not humble about it at all. Don't worry, it all evened out by College when I graduated with a much lower GPA than you, but my glory days in academia were GLORIOUS. So as I was saying, because of my huge brain, they had to give me a chapter book while everyone else read, I don't know, something about dogs and Sally and Tom. They gave me The Boxcar Children. This book series, about a bunch of hobo kids that live in a broken down train and are just tryin' to get by, almost killed my love of reading.

It was SO BORING. I didn't care about a bunch of kids who had to hunt for food or run away from stray dogs or whatever it was those books were about, I'll be honest, I have blocked most of it from my memory. I wanted to read about unicorns and fairies and witches. Luckily this was when I discovered Roald Dahl, who saved my literary life.

But still..there were times in these early days which challenged my love for the written word...Anne Of Green Gables...shudder. That was the last time I let my mom reccommend a book to me. To this day, she'll leave books in my room she thinks I'll like and I'll have flashbacks of the week I had to pretend to enjoy the Gables books my mom had just bought me.

It wasn't until High School that it really clicked for me: some books suck. I know this seems like a very simple conclusion I should have come to much, much earlier-but remember that the pinnacle of my academic achievement occured in first grade, and it might have gone all downhill from there. It was an important conclusion, and since then, I happily read constantly, even the crappy books.

I'm not sure why I have to finish every book I start, it's almost a compulsion. No matter how bad it is, no matter how early I realize how bad it is, I have to find out how the story ends. And further, I buy every book I read. No libraries for me! I'd like to say that this is because of some really cool philosophy I have about owning literature, but the truth is something more like I'm really lazy and getting a library card when you have an out of state ID is too annoying.

My first review will be of the Worst Book I Have Ever Read, so get ready. I have some catching up to do from this summer, as well-15 books that were just the crappiest, and 5 that I'll actually reccommend to you! No one reads this blog yet, which I will admit is embarrassing. Not as embarrassing as Stephenie Meyer's sex scenes though, so I got that going for me.

3 comments:

  1. I read it now! I read your blogs backwards. Whoops! You should start reviewing reviews of books. It'll be like that play-within-a-play term Duex ex machina. That's not it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, we keep it sooo real about our personal lives in our blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I friggin loved the Boxcar Children. They washed dishes in! a! river!

    ReplyDelete